Planning for your next getaway? Summer is fast approaching and the beaches are calling! You don’t have to get on a plane to experience a luxurious and enjoyable summer getaway. Just six hours from Manila is a city in Aurora that boasts gorgeous white sands and killer waves.
Ready for an adventure? Here’s a 3D2N Baler itinerary to give you a surfing experience.
Day One: Chill on the Beach
Enjoy the sun, sand, and waves all day long!
- Chill and enjoy the view at Discalarin Cove (P300): What better way to welcome yourself in Baler than to step onto the sands and soak in the sun right away? This secret cove has white sands and beautiful vistas that look right out of your summer fantasies. Don’t miss the climb up the uniquely shaped Baler lighthouse and witness a sweeping seaside view! Note: As a property of Costa Pacifica, guests staying at the resort will only need to pay PHP 150. All activities can be arranged via the hotel as well.
- Feast on seafood: A trip to the beach wouldn’t be complete without sampling the local cuisine. Dive into the flavors of the sea and enjoy a mouthwatering boodle fight!
- Hang out at Sabang Beach (free): Stretch your days longer and take a dip into the clear waters or enjoy a relaxing siesta by the shores.
- Go sunset surfing (PHP 350): What better place to surf than in the birthplace of surfing in the country? Sabang’s sandy strip provides strong and massive waves that are any surfer’s dream thrill ride. Don’t know how? You can also arrange for surfing lessons!
Read 13 Fun & Unique Things to Do in Baler
Day Two: Go green!
See more nature spots.
- Explore Diguisit Beach and rock formations (PHP 20): The stunning rock formations on the waters of Diguisit Beach show just how powerful the waves can be. There are several activities that you can do here, like swimming, rock climbing on one of the islets, or simply lounging by the white sands. Surfers who are looking for more challenging waves can also find it here.
- Climb Ermita Hill (PHP 15): Known as the highest point in Baler, Ermita Hill gives a spectacular view of the town, Sabang Beach, and the Dimadimalangat islet. At the bottom, you’ll find the “Tromba Marina” shrine, which commemorates the people who climbed up the hill and survived a massive tsunami in 1735.
- Explore Ditumabo Mother Falls (PHP 30): Take a break from the sands and travel to the next town, San Luis, and witness the tallest waterfall in the Aurora province. The hour-long trek and exciting river crossings towards the basin of the falls will definitely satisfy your craving for adventure. Note: You can also hire a tour guide for an additional PHP 200.
- Check out the Millennium Tree (PHP 15): The gnarled beauty of Aurora’s Balete tree is over 600 years old! Visit this magnificent nature spot and take a snap of the tree that withstood the test of time. Note: for an additional PHP 10, you’ll be able to go inside the tree!
Read 10 Best Tourist Spots in Baler to Discover
Day Three: Travel back in time
Explore Baler town on a heritage walking tour.
- Get to know Baler at Museo de Baler (PHP 35): Most people overlook how Baler is more than just sand and waves, but also a rich historical hotspot. Museo de Baler is a must-visit if you want to learn more about the municipality’s history. The museum houses several artefacts and art pieces that date back to the Spanish colonial period and is a great start to your heritage tour.
- Visit Doña Aurora Aragon Quezon House (PHP 35): The former first lady’s ancestral home in this remote town in Aurora is a sight to behold and will definitely take you back in time. Check out the old photos, discover the town’s historical timeline and see the home of one of the most beloved figures of the Philippines, who has contributed greatly to many humanitarian activities.
- Dine at Kubli Bistro (PHP 500): Enjoy a scrumptious lunch at one of the town’s famed restaurants serving an impeccable selection of local dishes that will definitely satisfy your cravings.
- Say a prayer in Baler Church (free): The 18th-century Catholic church is one of the most iconic landmarks in town and should definitely be on your list! The San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Parish was the site of the Siege of Baler and houses several historical items; including the La Campana de Baler, an ancient bell said to date back to the 17th century.
- Sample Baler’s best pastries at Dialyn’s Bakeshop (PHP 500): The perfect end to a perfect trip would be to buy souvenirs and shop for pasalubong. This popular bakeshop has an assortment of treats that are loved by the locals. From fresh yema bread, sweet Brazo de Mercedes cake, to their special Kiwi cupcakes, you’ll surely want a piece!
Accommodation in Baler
Ready to go? Here are some of our top picks of hotels in Baler.
1. Costa Pacifica Baler
2. Cube Hotel Baler
3. Casita by Costa Baler
4. Nalu Surf Camp
5. Damara Beach Front Resort
6. Bay’s Inn
Food to Try in Baler
1. Kusina Luntian: Enjoy a boodle fight inside a bahay kubo and experience the authentic island life. This is one of Baler’s best-kept secrets for delicious and cheap Filipino food and booze.
- Open Hours: Friday to Sunday, 10AM – 10PM
- Address: Dela Torre St., Brgy. Sabang
2. Kubli Bistro: Dine with good music and even better food! This restaurant serves a variety of cuisines from Filipino and Mexican to Italian!
- Open Hours: Sunday to Saturday, 11AM – 12AM
- Address: Buton St., Alley 2, Brgy. Sabang
3. Charlie Does Café: A surf-themed café serving vegetarian and vegan sandwiches and other savory treats. Their homemade desserts are a must-try!
- Open Hours: Friday to Sunday, 7AM – 12AM | Mondays to Thursdays, 7AM – 10PM
- Address: Brgy. Sabang
4. Myrtle Park: This hip outdoor skate park is a great hang out spot with your friends. Enjoy tasty beach grub and drinks, as well as Japanese street food from their Wrap N’ Roll stall.
- Open Hours: Monday to Sunday, 6AM – 9PM
- Address: Buton Street, Brgy. Sabang
Read 10 Best Baler Restaurants for Great Food
Breakdown of Expenses
This breakdown is only an estimation based on food prices, hotel bookings, activities, and entrance fees for one person. The total amount is subject to change depending on the number of people you’ll be travelling with, among other factors.
- Hotel – PHP 8,100 (price subject to change depending on hotel and room type)
- Food and Drinks – PHP 1,700
- Activities – PHP 770
- Bus fare – PHP 900
- Other expenses (includes pasalubong) – PHP 700
Total: PHP 12,170
Know Before You Go
- Do your research: In any trip, it’s important to know what you can expect before getting to your desired destination. If you came for the waves, Baler’s peak surfing season is from September through March. You can catch the best waves between December to February.
- Pack for the beach: Sunblock, check! Bathing suit, check! It’s all about the sun, sand, and waves in Baler so make sure to pack the proper necessities!
- Book in advance: There’s a saying, “The early bird gets the worm!” Make your trip hassle-free by booking your hotels early. Surfing lessons and other activities can also be arranged in advance.
- Take nothing but memories: Do not pick shells or rocks from the beach, or fauna from the nature spots within the city. Respect Baler’s beautiful ecosystem. Take nothing but photos and leave nothing but a promise to return.
Head over to Baler and enjoy endless days under the sun! Get the best accommodation deals on Traveloka today!