Home to what was once dubbed “the best pig ever”, Cebu is filled with exciting things to do and breathtaking sites to see. From untouched virgin islands to a bustling metropolis and a mouthwatering food scene, every street, every alley and every part of the Queen City has something to offer.
If you’re planning a trip any time soon, here’s a 3 day, 2 night itinerary specially made for barkadas:
Estimated Total: P900
Estimated Total: P3,500
Estimated Total: P1,200
Finding a homebase for your Cebu trip is crucial because the city is huge and you have to decide the most strategic location. Are you spending most of your time in Cebu City? On the beaches of Mactan? Figure out the most convenient jump off point, and select from our top 10 Cebu hotel picks:
1. Bayfront Hotel Cebu
2. Tsai Hotel and Residences
3. Uncle Tom’s Cabin
4. Sugbutel Family Hotel
5. 8th Street Guesthouse
6. Waterfront Cebu City and Casino
7. Big Hotel
8. Express Inn Mabolo
9. Travelbee Business Inn
10. Mayflower Inn
1. Lechon – Cebu was where Anthony Bourdain had his first taste of lechon, which he boldly declared the “Best pig ever!”, so you really cannot leave without having a meal (or three) dedicated to the roasted pig.
2. Ngohiong – Ngohiong is Cebu’s version of the lumpiang shanghai or the vietnamese spring rolls. It’s a deep-fried delicacy made of ground pork and bamboo shoots, and can be enjoyed as an ulam over rice or along with other street food like squid balls or kwek-kwek.
3. Sutukil – SuTuKil is basically any type of fish cooked in whichever way you please: “Su” for Sugba (meaning grill), “Tu” for Tula (meaning stew), and “Kil” for Kilawin (meaning cooked in vinegar). The trick is to order one of each to see which you like best.
4. Mango Pizza – Cebu is famous the world over for their sweet mangoes, and while having the fruit on its own is delicious, you better believe having it on a pizza is a must-try. Forget about pineapples on pizza because mango is the way to go.
5. Puto Maya – Puto Maya is like the Thai mango sticky rice except better because it is served with tablea and they only use the sweetest of Cebu mangoes.
6. Humba – Humba is a well-loved visayan dish, which is similar to the adobo except sweeter and fattier.
This breakdown is an estimation based on food prices, hotel bookings, activities, and entrance fees for one. These prices could go lower or higher depending on the amount of people in your group.
Ready for your Cebu barkada adventure? Now all you have to do is book your tickets, pack your bags, and you’re ready to go! Try to bring as many friends as possible, as package deals can save you so much money.
If you have more time, plan trips further out to Moalboal or Bantayan Island to make the most out of your Cebu trip.
Banner Editorial Credit: Aleksandar Todorovic / Shutterstock.com
Make the best of your Cebu adventure and tick off the activities in this adventure checklist.
Enjoy an exciting weekend in the Lion City!
Have a romantic stay in the most beautiful island.
A food trip is a must for this itinerary.
Plan your Hong Kong itinerary without the hassle.
Explore the land of the pyramids, mummies, and the famed Nile River on a budget.
Follow this five-day Hong Kong budget guide by a travel expert.
Got 24 hours to spare in Manila and don’t know where to go? Here’s a list to fill up your day.