Davao City’s Kadayawan Festival, held every third week of August, is a thanksgiving celebration for a bountiful harvest. Its name is derived from the word “madayaw” which translates to treasured or valuable. The city has been observing this festival since 1988.
Discover what’s waiting for you in this festivity. Check out this quick guide to the Kadayawan Festival:
The fastest and most convenient way to attend the Kadayawan Festival is by air travel. Book a direct flight to Davao with airlines such as AirAsia, Philippine Airlines, and more. You will arrive at Francisco Bangoy International Airport (Davao International Airport).
Meanwhile, you also have an option to do land travel from Manila to Davao City, passing through the Bicol region in Southern Luzon and Samar and Leyte in the Visayas. However, this will take around 30 hours or more.
Instagram photo @davaotoday
Editorial credit: RaksyBH / Shutterstock.com and Ulysses Nemeno / Shutterstock.com
Davaoeños are mighty proud of their heritage, and the week-long Kadayawan Festival is a testament to this. Here are some activities to look forward to:
1. People’s Park. The 4 hectare park has a visitor’s center inspired by the durian, landscaped gardens, sculptures by artist Kublai Millan, a dancing fountain, and a promenade.
2. D’Bone Collector Museum. The museum has over 700 bone specimens from both land-dwelling and aquatic animals.
3. The Peak. Located at the topmost level of Gaisano Mall, guests can enjoy breathtaking views of the city.
4. Davao Crocodile Park. Adventurous foodies can sample crocodile dishes.
5. Philippine Eagle Center. A conservation and breeding facility for the critically endangered Philippine Eagle.
6. Mount Apo. If you have a few days to spare, plan a side trip to the breathtaking Mount Apo.
7. Roxas Avenue Night Market.Mingle with the locals at the Roxas Avenue Night Market.
And lastly, go beyond Davao’s city limits. There are any sites you can explore that will make your vacation worthwhile.
Plan your trip to the Kadayawan festival. Make sure to book your flights and hotels with Traveloka to get the best rates!
Take part in this winter spectacle!
Be among the first to experience this festivity.
Go wild at one of the biggest music festivals in SEA!
Join the biggest water party in the world!
Feast your eyes on these lovely blossoms.
Go and join the gathering!
Every April, Dagupan City honors its rich milkfish industry by celebrating the Bangus Festival.