Gone are the days when hostels were reserved for the brave who don’t mind roughing it out with just the bare essentials. The sudden increase of upscale boutique accommodations like Spin Designer Hostel has catapulted hostels eons ahead of the typical dingy shack the term “hostel” used to be associated with. Here, you’re treated just as you would be in a five-star resort. Except at Spin, there’s a sense of community — an air of openness that extends beyond standard Pinoy hospitality.
Spin Designer Hostel is located along Calle Real road on the edge of El Nido’s town. Not exactly the prime beach and party area, but close enough to be convenient. As promised by its name, the hostel is beautifully designed down to the last detail.
High ceilings, sustainable wood, and an awesome “in-out” feel highlighted by the seamless integration of nature and natural light are what make Spin easily one of the best hostels in Asia. Just like its hometown of El Nido, every inch of the property was made to be picture-perfect.
There are four room types available for guests: the Private Bunk, the Private Single, the All-Female Dorm, and the Mixed Dorm. All rooms are fully air-conditioned and accessible via a secured key-card.
Unlike other budget hostels, Spin does not scrimp on space for more revenue. The heart of the property is its multiple common areas where guests can relax and exchange stories.
It’s not uncommon to lose track of time over a game of Jenga while sharing some snacks prepared by a guest from the other side of the globe. There’s even a garden area where a number of outdoor yoga sessions and ping pong tournaments have been held.
If you come at the right time, you might be lucky enough to experience a live concert at the amphitheater.
Since the prices at Spin are a bit higher than your typical backpacker-transient house, the hostel attracts a specific type of guest. Those who probably could afford a room at a fancier hotel but would rather stay in a more social environment.
Expect to meet lifelong friends as there’s always something happening in the common areas to get guests to mingle.
Another bonus you get at Spin is the complimentary breakfast. On top of the generous selection of warm breads, artisanal jams, and cheeses, they have an actual cook ready to serve you eggs just the way you like it. Forget about cheap three-in-one mixes because brewed coffee is available all day!
If you’re up to it, you can also choose to prepare your own meals in the shared kitchen. The public market is a five-minute ride away from the property.
Spin Designer Hostel is located in Balinsasayaw Road cor. Calle Real, El Nido, Palawan.
El Nido is a 1 hour and 15-minute plane ride away from Manila. Only select airlines such as Airswift are allowed to land at the Lio Airport.
For a cheaper trip, you can also choose to fly to Puerto Princesa and take a five-hour drive to El Nido.
El Nido is bursting with wonders and stunning sights to see. But if you’re still looking to narrow down your itinerary, here are some of our recommended things to do:
1. Join a Pub Crawl At Spin, Friday is Pub Crawl day. Explore the colorful pubs and homegrown bars of the tiny El Nido town with fellow guests, and you’re sure to come home with new friends in tow and great stories to tell.
2. Visit the Secret Lagoon You can’t leave El Nido without taking a kayak trip to the not-so-secret Secret Lagoon. Aside from its calm waters in the brightest shades of blue, the paradise is surrounded by towering limestone cliffs and rock formations that make it a truly magical place.
3. Climb up Taraw Peak Taraw Peak rises over 200 feet above sea level and boasts the best panoramic views of the island.
4. Go Island Hopping The best way to experience El Nido is by visiting its various islands. Numerous tours are held daily. Make sure to ask the friendly staff and guests at Spin for their top picks and recommendations.
5. Line-up for some Pizza Altrove is a Slovenian-owned restaurant that (they say) serves the best brick oven pizza in the whole of Palawan. Don’t be surprised to find a line building up on the street during mealtimes, but trust us when we say that it’s worth the wait.
Ready for your trip? Don’t forget to book it with Traveloka to get the best deals on your flight and hotel bookings.
Experience Bali like never before.
Spend a lovely Valentine’s staycation in these hotels.
Here are the best places possible to ring in the new year.
It’s included in 2015 Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts’ Club Yearbook.