AirAsia is one of the best low-cost airlines in the Philippines, which was ranked six years in a row by World Airline Awards. Established in 1996, it is a Malaysian low-cost airline headquartered near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
It is the largest airline in Malaysia by fleet size and destinations, linking famous Southeast Asian countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and more to the rest of the world.
The AirAsia Group is composed of AirAsia-branded short-haul carriers that includes the following:
- Malaysia AirAsia
- Philippines AirAsia
- AirAsia India
- Thai AirAsia
- AirAsia Zest
- AirAsia X
- Indonesia AirAsia
- AirAsia Japan
The airline serves 121 destinations across 21 countries. It offers mostly Asian destinations including stops in the Middle East and Australia.
Top Local Destinations
- Basco (Batanes)
- Coron (Busuanga)
- Caticlan (Boracay)
- Puerto Princesa
- Bohol (Tagbilaran)
- Cagayan de Oro
Top International Destinations
- Hong Kong
- Kuala Lumpur
- Ho Chi Minh City
All of AirAsia’s domestic flights from Manila are located at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 4. Meanwhile, their international flights depart from NAIA Terminal 3.
AirAsia’s BIG Loyalty Program
BIG Loyalty program is designed to reward its frequent users. It operates on four different membership status:
1. Red Status – Less than 13 one-way flights
2. Gold Status – Between 14 to 23 one-way flights
3. Platinum Status – Between 24 to 49 one-way flights
4. Black Status – 50 and above one-way flights
Among the many rewards and privileges you may avail as part of the program are as follows:
- Free lifetime membership.
- Each BIG points awarded to members has no expiration unless the member has zero activity for a continuous period of 36 months.
- Awarding of points is automatic as long as the member logins to the AirAsia website using his/her BIG Member ID when booking flights.
- All members get to enjoy a special 24-hour priority access to the popular Free Seats campaign, regardless of your membership status!
- You also have the option to use “BIG Points + Cash” to complete any seat redemption in case you have insufficient point balance.
- There is a separate mobile app for the BIG Freedom Flyer Program called AirAsia BIG Loyalty for easy monitoring of points. This is available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
How to Enroll
It’s easy and free to register for a BIG Loyalty account.
- Go to their website or visit www.airasiabig.com.
- Input your information.
- Complete the verification process by clicking the link they’ll send to your email.
How to Earn BIG Points
This point system is unlike any other loyalty program from other airlines. You earn points based on the number of flights you have made and not on the amount of money spent or special status held.
Take note that the double point system is awarded for long-haul travels on AirAsia X.
Aside from flying with AirAsia, members can also earn points in the following manner:
- Earn BIG Points for every money spent using the airline’s co-brand credit cards across the region.
- Patronize over 100 their travel and lifestyle partners all over the world.
Redeeming BIG Points
You can use the BIG points to redeem all flights on AirAsia for a minimum of 500 BIG Points. Your BIG Points can also be used to redeem hotel stays, tours and activities as well as e-vouchers from their selected partners.
AirAsia Web Check-in Process
For web check-ins, you can do it as early as 14 days before your flight departure. It’s easy to do it online, just follow these steps.
- On their homepage, click the Check-In tab.
- Enter your flight details (departure place, booking number, and your surname).
- Click Check-In and print your boarding pass.
Tips and Reminders for Web Check-In
- The following are not eligible for web check-in: pregnant passengers, those with infants, have special needs and reduced mobility, 16 years old and below who are traveling alone, and those with medical conditions/illnesses.
- Web Check-In is available for individuals and group bookings up to 50 people.
AirAsia Baggage Allowance
Hand Carry – Bag Size and Weight
All passengers (except for infants) can bring up to two pieces of hand carry on board. The combined weight for both should not go beyond seven (7) kilos.
Your carry on should fit the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. It should have the following dimensions:
- Cabin bag – 56cm (H) X 36cm (W) X 23cm (D)
- Under the seat – 40cm (H) X 30cm (W) X 10cm (D)
Check in Baggage
If you’re baggage will exceed the seven kilos, it’s advisable to pre-book a checked baggage. They offer a minimum of 15 kilograms for domestic flights and 20 kilograms for international flights. The maximum is 40 kilograms.
Take note that booking your checked baggage during your initial booking is cheaper than when doing it at the airport.
- – Guns, firearms, and weapons
- – Flammable and explosive substances
- – Toxic and chemical substances
AirAsia Fun Facts
- AirAsia Malaysia is the first airline in the whole world to have an airbus A320 aircraft. This type of aircraft has sharklet wingtips designed to make it more fuel efficient. It can accommodate around 150 up to 180 passengers.
- The airline was the official aircraft sponsor of Manchester United Football Club, a professional football club based in Old Trafford, Greater Manchester, England.
- It also became a sponsor to the Asia Red Tour of famous country pop singer Taylor Swift.
Ready for a trip? Check the latest airfare deals and promo. Book here now!