Looking for something new? The province of Pangasinan has a lot to offer! Located on the western area of the island of Luzon along the Lingayen Gulf and South China Sea, this overlooked northern province in Luzon offers a multitude of things to do. Though it’s best known for the Hundred Islands National Park, it’s home to some of the country’s beautiful, natural and man-made attractions.
Here are the best things to do in Pangasinan.
- Visit Cape Bolinao Lighthouse and Bolinao Rock Formation
- Explore the waters of Bolinao
- Tour around the Salt Farm
- Visit the Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag
- Experience The Hundred Islands Tour
The adventure never stops in Bolinao. Visit the historical Cape Bolinao Lighthouse that has been proudly standing atop the Punta Piedra Point for over ten decades. This cultural heritage is one of the country’s main lighthouses that played an important role in preventing accidents at sea in an international marine passage. On the other hand, capture the beauty of the golden hour with the Bolinao Rock Formation as your backdrop.
- Location: Brgy. Pater, Bolinao
- Directions: Bolinao Rock Formation is not yet very sound in terms of infrastructure, you can reach this place via road only. Once in Bolinao town proper, just ride a tricycle and ask the driver to bring you to Patar Rock Beach. The tricycle ride from town center takes about 40 minutes.
- Fees: P30 (Parking Fee) P30 (Entrance Fee to Patar Rock Formation)
- Highlights: Although the lighthouse itself is off limits, the view of the South China Sea and coastline from the hill is photo-worthy.
- Activity Tips: The lighthouse itself is closed to the general public. But it is open for viewing from the outside. It’s beautiful for photos and they also have a lot of souvenir shops at the entrance. Wear aqua shoes if you want to swim at Rock Formation Beach.
Bolinao is a hidden gem within the province, located at the northernmost tip of western Pangasinan. Be mesmerized with the beauty of the off white sandy stretch and crystal blue water in Patar White Beach or take a refreshing dip at Bolinao Falls.
- Location: Bolinao
- Directions: From the town proper to the resorts in Patar roads may take 20 to 30 minutes
- Fees: During the peak season, tricycle fare may costs P150 one way from the town to the tourist spots. A whole day tour offered by the tricycle drivers may range from P700 to P800 depending on the itinerary.
- Operation Hours: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Tuesdays to Sundays
- Highlights: Exploring Bolinao’s corals or enjoying the cool waters with friends.
- Activity Tips: Swim and cliff dive at Bolinao Falls or enjoy the fine sand of Patar Beach. Plus, don’t miss the romantic sunset by the beach. If you want to swim at Bolinao Falls 2, rent a floater because the water is 20 feet deep.
Pangasinan, or “pang-asinan” which means a place where salt is made, is the home to the 500-hectare Pacific Salt Farms, the largest salt producer in the Philippines. Take the chance to learn about salt harvesting and production. You can even ride an old locomotive through the farm and harvest salt by yourself.
- Location: towns in Dasol, Bolinao
- Fees: None
- Highlights: Engage in an an actual salt farm experience by going to a salt farm and harvesting salt on a “pick and pay” scheme. Dasol celebrates it integrated the Asin Festival in February as a tribute to its salt farmers.
- Activity Tips: Pacific Farms Agri Eco Tour in Bolinao offers a standard one-day package inclusive of salt harvesting, visit to the salt mountain, company history museum, train ride to crystallizer area, welcoming and introduction by salt farmers, visit to the Chapel Ruins, Salt Lake, Weather Station, with two meals and snack.
Don’t miss to stop over at this church with a reputation for miracles. It was declared as a minor basilica since 2015, the highest title a church outside Italy can receive. This means the spiritual benefits that one gains by visiting the papal basilicas will also be received by those visiting the Shrine of Manaoag.
- Location: N. Garcia Road,Manaoag
- Directions: Coming from Manila, you’ll pass through NLEX, SCTEX and TPLEX. The fastest time to get there is 2 hours, but on other times, it takes about 3 to 4 hours.
- Operation Hours: 8 am to 5 pm (Sunday mass starts from 5:00 am to 12:00 pm then 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm)
- Highlights: Due to its miraculous and historical value, it’s a perfect place for solemn praying and realization.
- Activity Tips: A great place to pray and attend a mass on a Sunday.
Did you know that there are 124 islands and islets during low tide and 123 when high tide at the The Hundred Islands National Park? This protected area has three major islands developed for tourism: Governor’s Island, Quezon Island, and Children’s Island and smaller islands like Sulpot Island, Monkey Island, Abad Santos Island and Hernandez Island.
- Location: Alaminos
- Directions: From Alaminos, ask for the Lucap Terminal. That’s where you’ll find tricycles going to Lucap Wharf or now called Don Gonzalo Montemayor Wharf, which is the jump-off for island hopping.
- Fees: P15 (Tricycle Fare Regulare), P100 (Tricycle Fare special) P30 (Entrance Fee), Environmental Fee P40 (Day Tour) P80 (Overnight), Free for children for 5 years old and below; Boat Rental Fees Day Tour P1000 (Small boat, 1 to 5 persons), P1,300 (Medium boat, 6 to 10 persons), P1,500 (Big boat 11 to 15 persons);Overnight P2,000 (Small boat), P2,500 (Medium boat), P3,000 (Big boat); P100 (Snorkeling Set)
- Operation Hours: 24 hours/ Day Tour is from 6 AM to 5:30 pm
- Highlights: Don’t miss doing these adventures such as Island Hopping, Zip Line, Cliff Diving and Helmet Diving. For a more laid back experience, catch the sunrise and sunset or camp and picnic with your buddies.
- Activity Tips: Bring your own food. Cooked and uncooked food are also available at the mini market near the tourism office. Start the island hopping early in the morning. Rent a boat only at the tourism office.
Enjoy a fun-filled trip to Pangasinan! Check out other tourist spots to visit, restaurants to try and more in the province. Discover cheap Pangasinan hotel deals and cheap flights from carriers like Philippine Airlines, AirAsia, and more with Traveloka!