Pleasant, stylish, and a complete visual treat—these are some ways to describe one of Palawan’s gems, the Canvas Boutique Hotel. Its bright and sleek exterior is sure to welcome locals and tourists alike, but it’s really the property’s creative spirit that makes it stand out.
What you’ll love at Canvas Boutique Hotel
Once you step foot inside their sleek lobby, you’ll understand why Canvas Boutique Hotel is so aptly named.
The Murals and Artworks
Starting from the lobby, all the way to their rooms, you’ll find plenty of local Pinoy artwork decorating the building from top to bottom. Walls are lined with colorful geometric shapes, rainbow doodles, and various inspired murals.
The main interior is mostly stark white, ensuring sunlight bounces off every surface of the room. Truly, Canvas Boutique Hotel is an art experience all on its own.
Even the inspiration behind its architecture comes from a place of wonder and local pride. According to the hotel management, the way Canvas is shaped and designed was modeled after the native balayong tree, originally a Javanese plant.
The light fixtures, which bathe the hotel in a soft, warm glow as soon as it grows dark, boast of a design that mimics the stalactites that are native to the Puerto Princesa Underground River.
And if you follow our local art scene closely, you’ll also notice the signature in some of the artworks proliferating the hotel. Some of these names include Tof Zapanta, Hannah Liongoren, and Electrolychee.
Indeed, everything about Canvas’ ambiance exudes modernity and whimsy, which is perfect to set the tone for your Palawan vacation.
When you’re researching on what room to book, Canvas will offer you three types of units, depending on your needs, and how many heads will be staying over. However, expect consistent cleanliness, pleasant vibes, and well-lit rooms regardless of which you will book.
Moreover, every room will have an environmentally-friendly bamboo sound amplifier/Ipod docking station for those who want an elevated ambiance during their stay.
You may also avail of their refillable amenities, as the management is all about saving on single-use products.
And remaining consistent with their polished and stylish branding, each of the 49 rooms in the hotel will feature a mural depicting particular aspects of Palawan’s landscape and mythos!
- The Superior Room is 25sqm and is meant for persons traveling alone, are on solo business trips, or are frequent backpackers. It has a King-sized bed and an en-suite bathroom, containing complimentary toiletries.
- The Deluxe Room, at 31sqm, is usually suggested for couples or duos, with its 1 King-sized bed or 2 Queen-sized mattresses.
- The Premier Room is the standard family or group room—35sqm in dimension—and has 1 King-sized bed or 2 Queen-sized beds, plus an extra day bed for any unexpected guests!
If the tastefully-curated aesthetic isn’t enough to convince you that Canvas is a worthy hotel to book when you plan your trip, then consider its location instead.
The property holds the shortest airport-to-hotel transfer transit time on the island, with just a record of a 2-minute drive, one-way!
You also won’t have any trouble buying giveaways for friends back in Manila, since the Pasalubong Center is only 1-minute walking distance from the hotel.
Meanwhile, you can rely on the ever-reliable front desk to help you arrange Palawan Tours and shuttles (The airport shuttle service is free!) back to the airport, which is a useful service if it’s your first time in Puerto Princesa!
The hotel’s restaurant, Painted Table, showcases their support for everything local through their food. When you order from their menu, you’ll spot their affinity for home-style comfort food, with little frills or fuss.
These Instagram-worthy dishes are cooked using locally-sourced ingredients and are fresh from Palawan farms and fisheries.
Try ordering their “Make it Awesome” set for breakfast, which is basically a plate of crispy bacon, chicken sausages, scrambled eggs, buttermilk pancakes, with a fruit platter side.
For lunch or dinner, consider their Signature Salad that uses the local fish called “lamayo,” plus cashew nuts and wild Palawan honey. Pair it with their Wild Mushroom Soup or perfectly pickled Kilawin.
For protein, go for the ever-reliable Soy Fried Chicken with Palawan Honey Glaze, or their more satisfying Grilled Chicken and Pork plate, with a side of grilled corn.
For something more indulgent, order their Extra Crispy Chicken Skin, and then end the night with some Blueberry Cheesecake Roll-ups or a cold Watermelon Shake.
If you want to enjoy your meal outside, remember to ask the staff if you can do al fresco dining! Painted Table has about 96-seats available for guests, so it’s never going to be too completely crowded.
Another Instagram-worthy area, and is arguably the most prominently featured amenity online, is their guests-only 20-meter outdoor pool.
If you’re not in the mood to go swimming, then why not enjoy the wet and dry lounge, which flank the pool proper? You can also enjoy reading in their sun terrace while getting your daily dose of Vitamin D. Plus, you can drink by the poolside, so just kick back and relax away!
- Canvas gives packed breakfast to guests who have early tours or flight schedules so they don’t miss their free hotel breakfast.
- Use Canvas’ WanderList, their curated list of things to do in Palawan, to create your itinerary. You can use their free-for-all Mac stations located in the lobby; just ask the front desk if you can view their PDF’s for tourists and first-timers.
- Parking is free. Just ask the concierge for assistance.
- Canvas Boutique Hotel has a basic clinic in case of any emergencies. They are usually manned by staff who were trained by the Philippine Red Cross and the Bureau of Fire Protection.
- Locate Electrolychee’s largest mural. It runs along the hallway until the next function room, and on the wall, it depicts the Tagbanua Underworld of lore. Can you recognize the mythical creatures who star in his artistic narrative?
- On the second floor, there are also marine-inspired paintings, and the third floor will have babaylan influences. Who would have thought a hotel property would be the one to get you to remember your pre-colonial Filipino lessons?
- Ask the concierge if you can avail of their free plated breakfast for two — this is usually served at the Painted Table and is a staple no matter what room you book!
- Enjoy all-day happy hour by the pool, between 10 AM to 10 PM.
- Try the craft beers! Pair up your meal at the Painted Table with local Ayahay craft beers. This is a collaboration with Palaweño Brewery.
How to get there
Canvas Boutique Hotel is reasonably priced and is an outstanding addition that can put you and your group in the right mood to explore the very best of Palawan. It’s the perfect blend of local art and sleek design, coupled with extraordinary hospitality and Filipino pride!
Located along Puerto Princesa North Road cor. San Juan, Barangay San Miguel in Puerto Princesa, Palawan, the property actually leads to the mall Robinsons Palawan, and the San Jose Terminal. And if you’re coming from the airport, remember their free shuttle service, and that it only takes less than 5 minutes to get there, on a one-way trip!
Follow Canvas Boutique Hotel on Instagram
Ready for your trip? Don’t forget to book it with Traveloka to get the best deals on your flight and hotel bookings.