Singapore may be one of the smallest countries in the world, but it is also one of the biggest and modernized economic giants. Despite this, the city-state has managed to keep alive the culture and traditions of the many different and diverse nationalities that call it home.
Its many neighborhoods are so distinct that district-hopping may seem like you’re visiting several different countries. No matter your reason for visiting Singapore, you’ll definitely find an area that suits your travel needs.
Here’s a look at the coolest neighborhoods and where to stay in Singapore:
For those who like dancing the night away and enjoying vibrant nightlife, look no further than Clarke Quay. In this riverside district, you’ll find tourists and locals alike enjoying themselves all night.
This fun area is filled with trendy bars, clubs, renowned restaurants, and local pubs. For young adult travelers, this is the best place to experience a more upscale and posh vacation, as long as they have the budget for it.
1. Studio M Hotel – This loft-inspired hotel is filled with contemporary and stylish interiors that embody the true concept of urban living.
2. M Social Singapore – Another contemporary lifestyle hotel, this hotel designed by Philippe Starck will intrigue you and give you a theatrical experience.
3. Robertson Quay Hotel – Conveniently located along the famous Singapore River, this hotel is both near the city center and the beach.
4. Furama Riverfront – Located in an area with easy access to the city center, shopping areas, and restaurants, this hotel boasts of large and cozy rooms.
5. Hotel Miramar Singapore – Guests will definitely enjoy the full amenities of this hotel such as suites with whirlpool baths and overlooking city views. Bonus: It’s located close to the Chinatown Subway.
6. Grand Copthorne Waterfront – This hotel has overlooking views of the Singapore River and offers luxe one- and two-bedroom apartments with a full kitchen perfect for families.
Editorial Credit: GTS Productions / Shutterstock.com
Singapore’s center of Chinese culture, Chinatown is filled with traditional hawker centers and shops that sell classical Chinese trinkets. Accommodations in this district range from stylishly converted houses to mid-range hotels that have a modern and trendy feel.
For those who enjoy finding hole-in-the-wall restaurants and haggling for the best finds, this is the best place to stay in.
If you are on a budget but would like to be in an artistic and trendy neighborhood where you can meet people from all over the world, book your stay in Chinatown.
1. Adler Hostel – This sophisticated art deco hotel provides an oasis of peace amid the bustling artistic neighborhood of Chinatown. Staying at their dorms is a great opportunity to make friends from all over the world.
2. Thad’s Boutique Hostel – This hostel combines a cozy dwelling space with a networking platform to provide accommodations to like-minded people with similar interests.
3. 5footway.inn Project Ann Siang – This premium boutique hostel has the perfect combination of functionality and style, offering dormitory and private rooms and free WiFi.
4. ST Signature Chinatown – Located right at the heart of Chinatown, this 40-bedroom co-living space that has a communal “cook lab” is the perfect place to explore the cultural and touristic scenes of this neighborhood.
5. Porcelain Hotel by JL Asia – Located along Mosque Street, which is one of Chinatown’s most popular historical lanes, this hotel is surrounded by picturesque and traditional shops.
6. Capsule Pod Boutique Hostel – This contemporary hostel has both coziness and style in the midst of good food, drinks, shopping places, and tourist attractions.
Editorial Credit: TK Kurikawa / Shutterstock.com
Bugis is known for its authentic bazaars and souks where souvenirs and exotic cuisine are sold.
In this district, you will find artsy and cultural activities within the hustle and bustle of market life. This is the perfect district for budget travelers and backpackers who want to soak up the culture.
1. Central 65 Hostel – This hostel offers amazing facilities at low rates. It has a rooftop jacuzzi and common areas to laze about in.
2. Kampong @ Arab – This affordable contemporary boutique hostel is located in one of the last remaining historic conservation sites.
3. Jamilla Boutique Inn – Guests can expect great amenities and inclusions at affordable prices, including free breakfast, as well as an open-air rooftop terrace with an amazing view.
4. ABC Hostel – Located in the Central Business District, this hostel provides easy access to public transportation. They have family rooms, dormitories, and private rooms for whatever will fit your party best.
5. Bond Boutique Capsule Hotel – This boutique hotel has a futuristic feel and offers capsules complete with a closet, a personal locker, a safety deposit box, USB plugs, reading lights and an air vent.
6. Five Stones Hostel – This hostel is known for comfortable beds and linens. Strategically located near Arab Street and Haji Lane, it is close to a lot of tourist attractions.
7. CUBE Boutique Capsule Hotel @ Kampong Glam – This capsule hotel’s goal is to create a friendly atmosphere within a sharing community.
Editorial Credit: Noppasin Wongchum / Shutterstock.com
Orchard Road is the upscale shopping haven of Singapore. Here you will find malls filled with designer shops and trendy fashion stores.
For those who love shopping, Orchard Road is the place to stay in. But it isn’t only shopping that this place is known for. Take the time to venture out to the small side streets and discover a more relaxed atmosphere filled with cool bars and restaurants.
1. Yotel Singapore Orchard Road – This reasonably priced hotel has all the amenities you will need and more.
2. YMCA @ One Orchard – Conveniently located two minutes away from the National Museum of Singapore, this laid-back hotel has a wonderful rooftop pool with a sundeck where you can soak in the wonderful view.
3. Hotel Jen Tanglin Singapore – This hotel has comfortably designed rooms and is right by the famous Tanglin Mall.
4. RELC International Hotel – Tucked in tranquility yet close to shopping areas, this hotel is a good place to get some peace and quiet.
5. Royal Plaza on Scotts – Just recently renovated, this hotel is a sophisticated, modern retreat that has all the amenities you will need for a wonderful stay.
Editorial Credit: Alex Cimbal / Shutterstock.com
This lively district is filled with Indian culture—you might even forget you are actually in Singapore! People of Indian heritage have settled here and opened up shops, restaurants, and even temples to reflect their own culture.
Little India is popular amongst backpackers because of its cute boutique hotels that offer very affordable accommodations.
1. ABC Premium Hostel – This hotel is strategically located in Farrer Park and has bicycle rentals, making it an ideal place to stay in for both business and leisure travel.
2. Mori Hostel Singapore – This contemporary boutique hostel offers modern comforts at a great price.
3. 7 Wonders Capsule Hotel @ Jalan Besar – This avant-garde hostel provides modern capsule bunk beds.
4. Adamson Lodge @ Rochor – The lodge is located in a lively street and offers mixed-gender dorms with bunk beds and private bathrooms.
5. New Society Backpackers Hostel – Located inside an old building, this hostel has a wonderful rooftop terrace and is perfect for travelers who want to stay longer than a week.
6. Campbell Inn – This inn has dorm rooms with lockers, bunk beds, and reading lights. They also offer family rooms for up to 14 people, as well as towel rentals.
7. The Great Madras – This quirky and trendy vintage hostel is compact and minimalist. It has gender-mixed dorm rooms and private rooms.
1. Dream Lodge – Located in Novena, this community-style lodge is perfect for travelers who want to meet other like-minded people from different countries.
2. Ark Hostel – Singapore’s largest tourist hostel is located in Geylang and offers comforts at a great value.
3. Kam Leng Hotel – Established in 1927 by a mysterious owner whose identity is still a secret, this hotel is well-loved by tourists from all over the world because of its nostalgic and fantastic elements.
4. Quality Hotel Marlow – This four-star hotel in Novena has a sun deck and an indoor pool for your leisurely convenience.
5. Eighteen by Three Cabins – This industrial-chic hotel is surrounded by restaurants and bars, making it a lively place to stay in.
Which neighborhood do you think suit you? For more options, book early with Traveloka to get the best deals!
Save money on your next trip to South Korea.
Level up your staycation without spending much.
Check out these five hotel essentials for your bleisure.
Experience Bali like never before.
Spend a lovely Valentine’s staycation in these hotels.